Wednesday, January 30, 2013

2012: Documentaries

I have seen more documentaries in 2012 than I have all my life. The thing about docs is that they have a 100 percent record of working on me. I have never not liked a documentary. I had problems with 'Winnebago Man', but it is still a film worth watching. The subject matter is usually so compelling that I don't bother about the film-making chops involved. Oh wait. I couldn't sit through Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams. But still.

I decided to watch all the documentaries which made the Academy longlist and then a few more important ones which weren't shown any love. I will try to write a bit about each film; for now I'll simply list them all in the order of liking.

WATCHED:
  1. Searching for Sugar Man
  2. West of Memphis
  3. This is Not a Film
  4. The Imposter
  5. Queen of Versailles
  6. The Invisible War
  7. 5 Broken Cameras
  8. Supermen of Malegaon
  9. Side by Side
  10. Bad 25
  11. Bully
  12. Shut Up and Play the Hits
TO WATCH:
  1. Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God
  2. Detropia
  3. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry
  4. Marley
  5. Room 237
  6. The Gatekeepers
  7. Stories We Tell
  8. How to Survive a Plague
  9. The Waiting Room
  10. Chasing Ice
  11. Ethel
  12. The House I Live In
  13. Jiro Dreams of Sushi
  14. Samsara
  15. Love, Marilyn
  16. Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present
  17. Brooklyn Castle
SUGGESTED BY @auteurmark
  1. Conteurs D'Images
  2. The Island President
  3. Indie Game: The Movie
  4. The Swell Season
  5. Girl Model
  6. Craiglist Joe